Welcome to Surfside's 14th Annual Half and Full Marathon!
February 24, 2018
Race Day Details
5:30 AM Early Bird Marathon start *Full Marathon ONLY. Not eligible for awards*
7:00 AM Full Marathon start
7:15 AM Half Marathon start
8:00 AM Kids K start
8:15 AM Surfin' Surfside 5K start
*If you do not start at your assigned time you will be disqualified. Absolutely, no exceptions!
Pre-Race Announcements and National Anthem:
Race announcements and instructions will start at 6:55am for the marathon and 7:10am for the half. This takes place at the starting line, near Stahlman Park.
All participants can enjoy postrace food and drinks at the Stahlman Park Pavilion after the race! Family and friends can purchase a meal/drink ticket (this is available on the registration page before checkout. Tickets for guests may also be purchased at packet pickup or race morning CASH ONLY). We ask participants not to share food/ drinks/ beer with family members - this way, ALL participants have plenty upon finishing the race.
Go south about 50 miles on Highway 288 to Lake Jackson and Clute. From Clute exit right onto Highway 332 East, exit marked "Surfside". Go about 8 miles and cross a BIG bridge. This highway ends at the water's edge. Turn left onto Bluewater Highway (not the beach). Stahlman Park Pavilion will be 2 miles down, on the right.
From Galveston/Clear Lake area:
Option 1: From Galveston's Seawall, head West (the Gulf of Mexico will be on your left side). Continue West on Seawall/ FM3005. At the end of Galveston Island, take the TOLL BRIDGE across ($2 each way). Continue approx 11.7 miles past the toll bridge. Stahlman Park Pavilion is on your left just after Bay Avenue and THE BREEZE Hotel & RV Park.
Option 2: Take Interstate 45 to Highway 2004 exit. Go Southwest (past the dog track) on 2004, and continue to Highway 523. Turn left on Highway 523, and go to Highway 332. Turn left onto 332, which will lead over Surfside Bridge and to the beach
Parking at Stahlman Park Pavilion is permitted for packet pickup on FRIDAY EVENING.
On Saturday, the Stahlman Park Pavilion parking lot is reserved for our volunteers and for persons with a "handicap" designation. We appreciate you adhering to our guidelines for parking!
Two options for parking once you get to Surfside:
1. (From Lake Jackson): Turn Left after the big bridge and drive down Blue water highway 1.3 miles. Turn right on YUCCA Drive (beach access road) and left on to the beach. You will park on the beach within sight of the building at Stahlman Park. (Please park single file, perpendicular to the dunes.)
2. (From Lake Jackson): Turn Left after the bridge and continue down Blue Water highway 2.0 miles to Stahlman park. Go 1/4 mile further, then turn Right onto BAY St. and head to the beach. Take a right on the beach. (Please park single file, perpendicular to the dunes).
For unusual high tide circumstances (like 2015), please park parallel along Blue Water Highway. Please be sure to not block any roads or driveways, and please be sure not to have any part of your car ON Blue Water Highway.
1. The course is open to vehicular traffic on the beach. You may use headphones, but be aware of your surroundings. Generally, there is plenty of room for both runners and vehicles and there isn't much traffic at the time of the race.
2. As with running on any beach, tides will cause ripples or irregularities on the the beach. The sand is usually hard packed- especially near the waters edge
Temperature at start is usually in the low 50's but can vary, on warmer race days (such as 2016) aid stations will be added to the course).
Prevailing sea breeze usually gives a headwind going East toward San Luis Pass, and a tailwind heading West, returning to the fini
The course is accurately measured by GPS. During times of unusual high tide (as in 2015), there is a possibility of a little zig-zagging. The great news is that you can't get lost- the ocean will be either on your right or your left.
The marathon starts at 7AM, the half at 7:15AM. The race course unofficially closes at 2 PM, allowing 7 hours for marathoners to finish, and 6 3/4 hours for the half marathon to finish. However, if participants are on course after, we will not shut down water stations or the finish line. If you are walking the marathon, we encourage you to start at 5:30am.
Walkers are always welcome! The half marathon can be completed in 6 hours. If you are walking the full marathon, please start at 5:30am to allow extra time.
Shirts, Medals, Awards:
Each participant will receive:
* An awesome technical shirt, as well as other goodies. In past years, participants have also received a bag, a water bottle, a visor.
* Stone Drink coaster - Custom made, commemorating the event. Some folks have all 12 so far! (Marathon & Half only)
* Finishers Medal - Each finisher receives a medal, which of course fits our Beach motif!
* Food and drink tickets for post-race party. Hearty food and vegetarian options available and some refreshing Tiki Wheat from Galveston Island Brewing Co.!
* AWARDS: Overall Male and Female for full and half, Overall Masters Male and Female for full and half, and age group awards in 5-year increments.
There is water and an electrolyte drink available at approx 1.5 mile intervals. Portable toilets are located at each aid station as well as at the start/finish of the race. Please plan to bring your own gels/nutrition although aid stations will have some!
If weather is hotter than expected water stations will be added at every mile marker.
Packet Pickup & Online Registration:
Thursday, 2/22/2018 - FIT TRI RUN (518 23rd St, Galveston) 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday, 2/23/2018- FIT TRI RUN (518 23rd St, Galveston) 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Friday, 2/23/2018- Stahlman Park Pavilion (2211 Bluewater Highway), Surfside Beach, 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday (race morning) 2/24/2018- Stahlman Park Pavilion, Surfside Beach, 5:00 AM - 8:10 AM
Beach Houses and Lodging
Surfside Breeze Hotel & RV Park, (979) 233-5323, www.surfsidebreeze.com
Sand-N-Sea Properties, (800) 880-2554, www.sandnsea.com
Texas Beach Rentals, (713) 955-6111, www.beachhouses.com
Coastal Sisters Charming Rentals, (713) 204-8054, www.coastalsisterstexas.com
Beach Resort Services, (979) 233-4900, www.beachresortservices.com
Bluewater Resort Rentals & Realty, (888) 233-1812, www.brri.com
Cape Bay Rentals, (800) 992-6670, www.beachresortservices.com
Ocean Village Hotel and Rentals, (979) 239-1213, www.oceanvillagesuites.com
Texas Inn & Suites, Clute (979) 266-7774
Clarion Inn, Lake Jackson (979) 297-1161
Comfort Suites, Lake Jackson (979)-297-5545
Quality Inn, Lake Jackson (979) 265-5252
Holiday Inn Express, Clute (979) 265-5252
Super 8, Lake Jackson (979) 297-3031
Best Western, Clute (979) 388-0055
Candlewood Suites, Lake Jackson (979) 297-0011